Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our cat is 5 years old, 9.5 lbs, good health, and her blood

Customer Question

Our cat is 5 years old, 9.5 lbs, good health, and her blood work last week came back with positive results. She does have a heart murmur. Today she had an injection of Depo-Medrol and an FVRCPC booster. After being at the house for several hours she is now showing extreme lethargy. That is her only symptom. On the internet I saw that several cats have died within days of receiving Depo-Medrol. What side-effects should I be concerned about?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I am also sorry to see you have waited for an answer. I just came online and saw your question. Do you still want help with her?
How is she doing?
Why was she given the Depo Medrol? Is she itchy?
This could be a vaccine reaction, as well as a reaction to the Depo Medrol.
Most cats tolerate steroids like Depo Medrol well, and we do not see as many side effects with cats getting it as with dogs. You can see things like changes in behavior, increased thirst, increased appetite, and it can cause retained fluid. These side effects are not common in cats, however.
If this is a vaccine reaction, you would see lethargy, fever, body aches, loss of appetite. Vaccine reactions usually last about 12 to 24 hours.
How is she doing now? Can I help with anything else? Again, I am sorry an expert did not help you sooner.