Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is an outdoor cat. He always is a very affectionate

Customer Question

Hello. My cat is an outdoor cat. He always is a very affectionate and loving kitty who likes to play and be held. Well lately he's gotten alot skinnier.. and I haven't changed his diet he still eats just the same. And when I went to pick him up today he started hissing.. and it was a strange sounding hiss that I've never heard before.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Balthazar's weight loss and displeasure upon being picked up are worrisome. They're not signs pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder but they're important enough to have his vet thoroughly examine him including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and possibly imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound.
It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to examine him. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a wound on his tail. It's bleeding and has puss around it.
Well done! A simple bite wound abscess that needs to be opened, flushed out with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, left open to drain, and a systemic antibiotic prescribed for at least 5 days. I'm concerned about his weight loss, however. I wouldn't expect that with a simple wound. Make sure that his vet also tests Balthazar for the feline leukemia (FeLV) and kitty AIDS (FIV) viruses when Balthazar's wound is tended to.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Hi Taylor,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?