Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My girl apparently can not go to the bathroom (poo). She vomited

Customer Question

my girl apparently can not go to the bathroom (poo). She vomited what looked to me as blood this morning and I have been at the vet for a long time. She told me she looks incredibly backed up (x-rays). Her stomach was empty. she can't go to the bathroom. They told me to watch her but she won't come out of my bedroom. Do you think this doctor should have given her an enema or maybe a laxative? The doctor told me if she does not poo or eat this evening, I should make another appointment. Am I missing something here. I upset and worried.
Phyllie
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm sorry Sofie is not feeling well...I think an enema is definitely in order given the information you're providing. I don't know the details, of course, so I can't say if Sofie's veterinarian should have done an enema at her visit today, but certainly if she is unable to have a bowel movement and x-rays confirm constipation, an enema is the first step. Often, sedation is used to administer an enema because it can be painful, so be prepared to have that discussion...At the very least, she should be given injectable pain medication.Most commonly constipation in cats is caused by some other underlying reasons, such as kidney disease or megacolon (dysfunction of the muscle of the large intestine) and most cats are typically dehydrated at the time, as well, so I'm glad she got some fluids. If Sofie has not already, she should have blood testing done to help rule out other conditions.Here is a link with some information on what to expect as far as treatment after the enema (most cats need some dietary changes +/- medications): http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=634I would be surprised if Sofie has a bowel movement tonight / over night, so I would bring her in to see your vet in the morning and have the enema done.I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.