Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

CAT IS MALE 12 YRS OLD hAS DIFFICULTY URINATING. i READ ON

Customer Question

CAT IS MALE 12 YRS OLD hAS DIFFICULTY URINATING. i READ ON LINE A NEEDLE CAN BE INSERTED AND FLUID DRAINED FROM CYST. i AM ARAID HE WILL DIE. hE HAD CATHTER TO DRAIN URINE 2 DAYS AGO AND HE IS URINATING A THIMBLE FUL LOR LESS YESTERDAYAND TODAY. cAN THIS KITTY BE SAVED? i HAVE SPENT $1k ON HIM AND NO CURE.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am a bit confused about what exactly is the issue for your cat. He has urethral obstruction (this is that his urethra is blocked)? Or does he have a primary bladder tumor. A mass in the kidney or ureter (this is the tube that drains the urine from kidney to bladder) would not prohibit him from urinating, but might put the affected kidney at risk.A functional problem with his bladder (especially in the trigone region where urine exits) or the urethra would cause him to have this issue. If he has a urethral obstruction which is NOT due to a tumor then YES he can be saved by perhaps having perineal urethrotomy surgery which means he gets surgery to essentially re-plumb things to make a larger output. Your veterinarian should offer this or know of a local place that you can be referred to. On the other hand, if he has a bladder or urethral tumor (cyst is quite rare and tumor would be more commonly the problem) then this would require consultation with a surgeon to know if the mass was resectable. If this is indeed not cancer an sonly a cyst, then perhaps a specialist surgeon can perform this. Going to a veterinary school or even your closest speciality hospital might be your best bet for this consultation. Can you not go to the Florida Veterinary Teaching Hospital? They are an excellent facility as well with wonderful surgeons, although Texas is also a good bet. Your vet would have to facilitate an official referral to either center for your cat's consultation (these are not walk-in clinics, unfortunately. although you could potentially just go and be referred in through the emergency service).Implanting a long-term urinary catheter is an option, but not commonly done as there are potentially significant long-term complications such as chronic infection. This would have to be something discussed with the specialist.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey