Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have been a part of a rescue that is taking place in NYC , domestic

Customer Question

I have been a part of a rescue that is taking place in NYC for white, domestic rats that were dumped outside. We caught 50 the first night but then the city put down poison pellets the second day. I am not sure who has been poisoned (if any) but I was told that activated charcoal can help in these situations. I am just unsure of how to administer or what to put it in so they will ingest it. Their water? I have about 70 rats from the rescue (they are not staying with me) so I cannot individually feed it to all of them. They are in various cages/carriers so how can I administer en masse? I really don't want these poor animals to suffer from being poisoned.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that these little ones have been exposed to a toxin.
Do you know what toxin was put out?
Activated charcoal can be used to bind a toxin and reduce the amount that is absorbed. However ideally we would use gastric lavage first to remove as much of the toxin as soon as possible from the stomach after ingestion, then follow that up immediately with charcoal. We generally give two doses 6 hours apart.
Given the fast transit time of a rat's gastrointestinal tract depending upon how long ago the toxin was ingested it may be too late now. If it has been more than 24 hours activated charcoal is unlikely to be of benefit.
The dose is one GRAM (not milligram) per pound of body weight. They likely won't eat it willingly. You can try mixing it with something tasty like mashed bananas or sweet potatoes and brown sugar.
Best of luck with these little ones.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara