Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My female cat is 14 1/2 years old. She's been on Methimazol

Customer Question

Hi! My female cat is 14 1/2 years old. She's been on Methimazole for 4 years due to thyroid problems. She is also in the early stage of kidney failure. She's down to 6 pounds. She hasn't eaten for 24 hours (very unusal for her). She is struggling and hurting while (I'm assuming, urination) and is passing a clear, bloody fluid. Can I make her more comfortable until the morning when we see her vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am very sorry to hear about Lucky's situation.
Can you confirm it is a watery fluid and not mucus?
Was it a large amount?
When did she last pass stool?
Has she had any vomiting, retching, gagging, or lip licking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting, retching, gagging, or lip licking. Small amounts of clear, bloody discharge; don't think it's mucus. Last bowel movement was about 8:30 last night; small; thin; firm. Her weight loss has been very slow over the past year & a half.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
In that case, we do have to be wary of a bladder infection for Lucky. Less common issues for these kinds of signs would also include urine crystals, bladder stones, and bladder tumors. In regards ***** ***** we can do to ease signs for her until she sees her vet, we will be a wee bit limited at home. Human OTC pain relief treatments are dangerous for cats in general and could do more harm then good. Therefore, our main focus in situations like this are to increase hydration and alter the urine pH. To increase her fluid intake, we do want to offer as much water as possible. To make it more palatable, you can offer it mixed with low salt chicken broth or a bit of milk. As well, cat milk can be offered. Each will get more fluids into her system to dilute her urine and reduce bladder discomfort. As well, you can also syringe feed her a few milliliters of aloe vera berry juice from your local health food store or grocery store. This can help make the urine pH more normal and therefore less irritating to the bladder. And since she is showing no signs of nausea putting her off her food, we'd hope that easing these signs would get her more keen to eat for us as well.
Otherwise, once her vet is open, we'd want them to confirm the root of her urinary signs. Cat safe pain relief and antibiotics can be administered by injection to get her settled and comfortable for us. And again, we'd hope that she would eat once that is addressed if that change was sudden and we have no GI signs to blame for that.
Please take care,
Dr. B.