Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My friend's cat has always been sweet and affectionate. She

Customer Question

My friend's cat has always been sweet and affectionate. She got rabies immunization for her cat 11 days before the cat bit me for not reason. I was given augmenten but I want to know if it was possible that the cat had rabies. It has been 11 days since the bite and I have flu like symptoms.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
A healthy cat that bites or scratches an individual should be confined and monitored for 10 days. If clinical signs of rabies don't develop in the cat within 10 days of a bite or scratch, there hasn't been exposure to rabies virus. If your friend's cat hasn't had exposure (rabies vaccine doesn't constitute exposure) there should be no concern that you contracted rabies.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.