Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My kitten is weak and it wont eat we have to force it to eat.

Customer Question

my kitten is weak and it wont eat we have to force it to eat. I thought it was all the fleas on him causing it but im not sure. what do I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. Sounds like you have been nursing him for a while, but unclear how long.If he has gone longer than 2 days without eating much, then this is a sign he needs to be seen by a veterinarian right away. Younger kittens are more at risk for proudly low blood sugar if they go for long periods without eating/drinking enough.The symptom of weakness is, unfortunately, not specific to indicate one particular problem. If he had a severe flea infestation that was only recently controlled, then profound anemia is very possible. There are also infections that can cause progressive weakness or organ failure or congenital problems (heart, organ) and the list continues.At home, you should continue to syringe feed him. You can try people baby food of the pureed variety ("first foods") in chicken flavor, which is much easier to draw up into a syringe. It does not, however, have many calories in each jar. Your vet has a higher calorie recovery diet that is ideal. If we are worried about fleas, then starting an iron supplement such as that in Nutrical which you can purchase at any petstore, is a good option. But your vet has a liquid vitamin supplement much better for iron supplementation. I still highly recommend have him seen and do not do a wait-and-see approach. The sicker he becomes, the more difficult it may be to reverse the process. Earlier is better. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.