Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has several spots on his skin that are pretty much a perfect ci

Customer Question

my cat has several spots on his skin that are pretty much a perfect circle of thinning hair and black spots in the hair follicles. the black specs are NOT flea dirt, if I scrape the black spots hard enough they do move. he has been to the vet several times but they don't know what it is. the areas are itchy to him. he had 2 spots on his stomach that seem to have healed but now there is a new one at the base of his tail. again, definitely not flea dirt.. I am familiar with what that looks like and he has been on medication for several months.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and pumpkin today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
Can you tell me what tests have been performed on his skin? Skin scraping for mange mites? Skin cytology? Ringworm culture? Skin biopsy?
Can you tell me what medications he has been on?
Are you working with a veterinary dermatologist?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.