Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I'm pregnant and have been diffusing peppermint oil to alleviate

Customer Question

I'm pregnant and have been diffusing peppermint oil to alleviate morning sickness. Tonight, my 10 year old rag doll is acting very sluggish and has had some diarrhea and is a mess. He won't eat and will barely walk. I've been diffusing it once or twice a day for about a week now. now that I've realized its harmful, what can I do to help him?? I have a younger kitten that does not seem to be affected at all.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. These oils can be pretty toxic to cats. They typically cause GI and respiratory signs- nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, labored breathing, coughing. They can lead to organ toxicity if it's a more chronic exposure. I would start by getting some bloodwork run to rule out kidney damage. I would also shoot x-rays of the chest to make sure the lungs are ok. If that looks good, then I'd put him on IV fluids for a day or two. this is to flush out the toxin. I would also use some antibiotics (Metronidazole) to clear up the diarrhea. A day or two of detox should get him back healthy and rehydrated. From then on, just refrain from using these oils around the cats. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything else I've read online said to remove them from the area and wait for improvement. Should I do that or get him to the vet immediately?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
With a mild exposure, that would be fine. A cat with diarrhea, not eating and barely walking- I would want that cat treated more aggressively. It may end up being an overkill, but I'd rather error on the side of caution here.