Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 17 years old. About 4 months ago (he)started to loose

Customer Question

My cat is 17 years old. About 4 months ago (he)started to loose weight from over 5kgdown to 4.6kg. We noticed that he had some inflammation in the mouth and local vet recommended to pull out back teeth. That happened early May. Since the cat eat less and less. He's now 3.2kg. Up till now he use to eat a egg with milk and some natural yogurt or natural cottage cheese. Last 2 days is very difficult to make him leak anything. I found that inside his mouth is white like fungus. I gave him some herbs and the fungus is improving but it doesn't improve the whole outcome.
The cat had done a blood test where all the aspect where reasonably OK according to our vet. So I need an advice what steps I should take. Going back to local vet is probably bad idea since she found nothing wrong with the tests.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat. In an older cat with rapid weight loss and poor appetite, organ disease (usually kidneys) or cancer are the most likely diagnoses. Bloodwork is done to rule out organ disease and hyperthyroidism. It sounds like that was done. If that is normal, by far the most common cause is cancer. Lymphoma is the most common cancer that can cause weight loss and poor appetite. Lymphoma can be tough to diagnose. It's not always showing up as an obvious mass. Often times it'll infiltrate tissues with cancer cells. The only way to diagnose it, is to get biopsy samples. This usually involves surgery to get intestinal biopsies or endoscopy. It's a fairly invasive procedure in an older cat that is not doing well. Many people just elect to put them on steroids (prednisolone) as it has some decent efficacy against Lymphoma. It's not going to cure it, but it can help with the signs. These are options that should be discussed between you and your vet. If you're not happy with your vet, a second opinion from another vet or even an internal medicine specialist may be an idea. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.