Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is in heat and this morning I woke up and found that

Customer Question

My cat is in heat and this morning I woke up and found that she peed outside of her litterbox and it was all blood.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. She may have a bladder infection, or she could have "sterile cystitis", where her bladder is inflamed but not caused by a bacterial infection. Another possibility is that she is forming fine grains of sand, or crystals, in her urine and that is causing the lining of her bladder to bleed. All three of these conditions are painful, and will make a cat avoid the litter box. If she has an infection, she needs antibiotics. If she has crystals, she may need a special diet. Only by doing a urinalysis can you tell what is wrong. Is she eating and drinking? If she, she is not in immediate danger, but I would have her checked out, and a urinalysis done, as soon as you can. Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have. Rebecca