Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Cat has a lump on the left side of her jaw. She eats food has

Customer Question

Cat has a lump on the left side of her jaw. She eats food has to be pureed and drinks very well.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. If the lump is painful, then it may be an abscess. These are usually fluidy feeling as well. They are often secondary to tooth rot abscesses in cats. If the lump is firm or hard, then it may be due to a bone tumor. Osteosarcoma is a bone cancer that can form on the jaw of cats. If it's small enough, we can remove it to cure the cancer. In a young cat like this, I would put tooth root abscess as the most likely cause. An exam and dental x-rays would be my recommendation to get this diagnosed. We have to put a cat under anesthesia to get dental x-rays, so the tooth with the abscess could be removed at the same time. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.