Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I currently live in Saudi Arabia where access to quality vet

Customer Question

I currently live in Saudi Arabia where access to quality vet care and cat medicines and treatments aren't an option so finding the correct advice regarding my geriatric, CKD cat with bad teeth/gums is challenging here. Petunia (my black cat) has recently stopped eating (she was eating like a horse a few days ago), she's still interested in food but when presented with it she'll give a few good licks then walk away. I've administering subQ fluids for the past three days and am trying to force feed her a little (not very successfully). I brought her to a local vet clinic last night and asked the vet to give her some IV fluids/vitamins. This has helped her. The key piece of info that I got from the vet is that Petunia a/ has fleas (i feel horrible that I didn't realize this sooner), and b/ is showing signs of anemia. We discussed giving her a dose of Advantage II for a kitty under 9lbs (which is what I have at home). I'm super nervous to give it to her in view of the compromised kidneys but, by the same token, know that the fleas will make the anemia worse and could be fatal.
My question is: should I give her the Advantage? The vet originally said yes, but when she inserted the IV, Petunia freaked out and gave us all a scare. The vet thought she was going into cardiac arrest. It seems that it was stress as she quickly recovered and calmed down but as a result, the vet changed her mind about me giving Petunia the Advantage.
With all this said, it's only this morning that in reading information online, I made the possible correlation of the fleas and the anemia. The vet did not bring this up last night.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on Petunia's episode at the vets and the risk of anemia (which is a real concern for her since kidney disease can cause secondary anemia too), I do think we need to treat her. Now I would be more concerned that her collapse was related to stress or low oxygen levels to her brain (which could be heart related but also potentially due to anemia if there are too few red blood cells to carry that oxygen).
I would note that while scary and a sign that we need to address possible anemia, that isn't going to be affected by the Advantage. So, we can use this here. Of course, if we wanted to be even more careful, you can have that local vet source Frontline spray for you. This is used from 2 days of age in kittens and would be an option here to consider for her. Otherwise, worst case scenario, you could start flea combing her to remove fleas (they can then be dunked in dish soap to kills them) and then also treating the house (use a product with IGR or Insect Growth Regulator to kill all flea stages) to remove them from the environment.
Finally, I would just note that if she is anemic then you may also want to talk to her vet about a course of steroids, injection of Laurabolin, or treatment with synthetic Erythropoietin (if available). All of these can help stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells and counteract that suspect anemia for Petunia.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for reply Dr. B,
I will go ahead and administer a dose of Advantage. I will also ask the local vet clinic about the availability of the products and treatments that you recommend but my fear is that they will not have these medicines available as it was explained to me yesterday that there is a constant shortage of veterinary medicines in KSA. Most medicines prescribed by local vets are human grade and obtained at a pharmacy. So when you suggest the Laurabolin injections, is there an equivalent for people because that is probably the best chance I have to get a hold of something that might help her anemia? They suggested a multi-vitamin and an iron supplement. We found a liquid form of iron at the pharmacy. Is that something I could give her in small amounts? Will it help her or be detrimental?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
First, I would be very careful using iron with her. In fact, unless they specifically diagnosed iron deficiency induced anemia, I'd not use it unless part of a balanced feline specific vitamin (which you can buy online).
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** drugs I mentioned, they are all used in human medicine (and even the Human recombinant erythropoietin for people can be used in cats). So, if the human pharmacy is a viable outlet for obtaining medication for our pets, these may be obtainable provided your vet writes a prescription for them.
All the best, *****
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Victoria,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dsh. How is everything going?

Dr. B.