Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Trying to figure out of i should take my cat who i think has

Customer Question

trying to figure out of i should take my cat who i think has a hairball stuck, to the emergency clinic?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating, just gagging a lot with no hairball coming up. He is also laying around the house a lot, which is unusual. His meow is ruffled, hoarse.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry about the long wait. If you want to try something at home, you can use a laxative to try to get the hairball to move. I typically use Laxatone. It's available at most pet stores. You can give a small amount 2-3 times daily. If the gagging improves and resolves, then great. If the gagging continues or if he starts vomiting food, then I would get him seen and get x-rays to rule out an obstruction. That could be in the esophagus or small intestine. Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.