Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cats have fleas..I have treated them with all the expensive

Customer Question

.my cats have fleas..I have treated them with all the expensive flea meds..I just spent 100 dollars on treatment..still have fleas on them..I ran into a woman who puts olive oil on her cats and swears it keeps fleas away..please help..I don't know what to do. I will try anything
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am sorry to hear about your cats and the fleas. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. What was the name of the flea product you used? How often did you use it? When fleas are this bad, the problem is new fleas hatching in the environment. You can use flea products, olive oil (although I can't find any evidence or clinical testing that shows that olive oil would help), herbal products like Buck Mountain parasite dust, and kill every flea on the cats, but the moment new fleas emerge in the carpet or bedding, there will be new fleas on the cats. You have to keep using the flea product, as directed, to kill the new fleas as they get on the cats. You can't kill the pupae in the environment; there is no spray or product that does that. Using an IGR, insect growth regulator, in your flea products will help, but you have to wait out the whole cycle, faithfully using flea products on the cats, until there are no new fleas hatching.I recommend that people use Frontline, that they bought at a veterinary office, because they have a great guarantee: they will work with you, including sending out professionals to treat your house, if you use Frontline, and work with one of their customer service representatives. This only applies to Frontline bought from a vet, not if it was purchased at a pet store or department store.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been using frontline..I just applied it to my 5 cats two days ago..I have done this faithfully every 30 days..I vacuum every day and spray and dust my carpets..I just don't know what to do anymore..I am running out of money..the fleas seem to thrive on the poison
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you bought the Frontline from a veterinarian, you should call the number on the box. Merial customer service will work with you, and if the fleas persist, they will pay for an exterminator.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am doing some online research about olive oil, on a vets only website. Used as a spray, it help with itching by moisturizing the skin and coat, but it does not kill or repel flea.