petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have two cats we adopted about 6 months ago, a female and

Customer Question

I have two cats we adopted about 6 months ago, a female and a male. We recently got a cat genie litter box to help keep everything clean. The male uses the box for both peeing and pooping, but the female only uses it for peeing. She poops about a foot outside of it. She used to do that when the litter box was to dirty, so we thought the cat genie was a good solution bc it is clean all the time.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Gracie today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
......
Can you tell me how many cats total and how many litter boxes total that you have?
.......
Are you referring to the cat genie with the washable litter?
......
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have two cats and we thought about getting two boxes, but them sharing one had never been a problem. We just got the Cat genie a few weeks ago. They said it can be used with up to three cats per one box since it washes after every time a cat uses it. And yes it is the washable litter. She is using it to pee and sniffs in it and almost "plays" in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did think about using the traditional box just for her and keep it somewhere else, but it is a small house and there is no other place for a box, and we didn't want him to stop using the cat genie and start using the traditional box.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. I am assuming that her stool is always formed and otherwise normal. If there is any loss of form, blood or mucus in the stool, we need to rule out an underlying medical problem first. Even if she has never had a problem before the litter genie and was using one box for both, cats are very specific and the smallest change can set off a change in behavior. She obviously doesn't have an aversion to the genie, as she uses it for urine, but she clearly is now choosing a different substrate for stool. The general rule of thumb is to have one more litter box than you have cats. So with 2 cats, theoretically, you should have at least 3 litterboxes, but if space is an issue, you may be able to get away with 2. You can have them side by side if need be. To find her preference, I would offer a buffet type trial, maybe try one covered and one uncovered. You may need to experiment with different litters, different types of boxes (short sided, tall sided, etc), and different levels of litter in the box. Cat's are very texture specific so look at the places she is choosing to go. If it is a carpet, you may want to put a piece of scrap carpeting in a litter box for her and slowly add more litter as she starts to use it. There is also a litter box additive called Cat Attract® which works very well. PRECIOUS CAT LITTERS LINK Litter pan hygiene is key so you must scoop (the non-genie) litter box daily. Unfortunately, you can't control who uses what box. Just because he is using the genie for both urine and stool, doesn't mean he likes it. It may be that he is just tolerating it and he could end up using another spot in the future as well, so if you put a different litter down and he migrates to that, he is telling you his preference. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z