Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is an indoor/ outdoor cat. About 10 years old. Has never

Customer Question

My cat is an indoor/ outdoor cat. About 10 years old. Has never been sick. He has been vomiting now for about 5 days. Several times a day. I think it's when ever he tries to eat. He is also staying in the house. Very clingy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any other symptoms besides the vomiting? 2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms. He seems to want to eat. But vomits it up shortly after. A bit lethargic. I don't know how much he weighs. He is average size.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
When see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, tumors, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease. In cats we also have to consider hairballs. This is what you can try:1- Divide his meal to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day. 2- Raise his eating bowl on to a small stool to force him to raise his head while he eats. 3- Pick up hairball medication (laxaire or laxatone) in your local pet store, give it at label dose. 4- If no improvement within 24 hours of doing the above I would follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays as initial screening test. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter