Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We've got a cat (female, 7 yrs old, indoor only) who is over

Customer Question

We've got a cat (female, 7 yrs old, indoor only) who is over grooming her lower abdomen. She's also got little tiny sores. She's had this once before - we took her to the vet, who did a urinalysis and found evidence of crystals but not actual crystals. She had an ultrasound that didn't reveal anything. A cone didn't help as her fur didn't conpltetly grow back but a steroid shot seemed to help for a little while. The steroid shot was 2 months ago. She's also been on Urinary S/O food since it first appeared.
Would be great to get advice about what could be wrong and how to help our little kitty get better.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also happy to add a picture if that would be helpful.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores) besides the scabs?
Are you seeing her groom excessively?
Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?
Is she worse at any particular time of year?
While this doesn't sound flea related, for thoroughness, can you tell me what flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?
Any urinary concerns at the moment?
Can you post your photos online, so I can see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.