Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 5 and we have had her months. Never had any

Customer Question

My cat is 5 and we have had her for 9 months. Never had any issues with her using the litterbox. She's been crying a lot lately and peed on an area rug tonight and scratched on it for about 5 minutes. But five minutes ago she used the litter box and peed
fine. Should we be concerned?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Has she been crying when passing urine? Or generally?
What did they urine on the rug look like? Was it a lot or a little? Any blood in it? Was it dark or dilute urine?
Has she been passing urine (in the box or out) more often then usual for her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi...No worries on the delay. She hasn't been crying when passing urine, just very vocal lately in general. She is fixed, so I know she's not in heat. The urine was just the typical color. It's like she used the area rug as her litter box. She was in the middle of peeing and my girlfriend saw her and stopped her. It's the first time we have seen her urinating outside of the box. Not like her at all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
You are absolutely right that this goes against the feline nature. Instinct tells cats to hide their wastes, which is why they use a box as opposed to dogs. Still if she has been crying generally and the urine seems normal, can you tell me if there have been any changes at home?
Any new pets, neighbor cats coming around the garden, noises in the neighborhood, changes in routine, people, or furniture?