petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our long haired yellow tabby who is slightly obese but usually

Customer Question

Our long haired yellow tabby who is slightly obese but usually very active has become lethargic and very weak. He is eating and drinking sparingly and his meow has also becoming weak. He seems unable to stand and walk without falling over. He does not have any coughing or nasal discharge. He acts as though he is going to pass away at any time now. What could it be? We are unable to afford a vet right now. Please help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
......
JJ's situation sounds very grave. Often, when an overweight cat reduces their calorie intake, it can lead to liver damage and that makes them feel even worse, so the cycle of anorexia worsens. If you look at his gums and they are orange or yellow instead of pink, that is very likely what is happening. That takes aggressive medical care to turn around. If you are unable to provide medical care for him, the most humane thing that you can do is it have him euthanized. Many of the local humane societies will offer this service at a reduced rate or even no charge if you really can't afford to care for him.
......
I am sorry that there is not more to offer, but in the shape he sounds to be in, it really is the kindest thing to him.
.....
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z