Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What is a home remedy constipation?

Customer Question

What is a home remedy for cat constipation?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now if Sweetie- Pie is constipated, then we do need to tread with care. Any distress, belly discomfort, or vomiting and those would be red flags that we need her checked by her local vet (to rule out blockages, gut compression or more sinister issues).
That aside, as long as she is otherwise alright, there are some home treatments you can try for her here. Now to start, you can offer some cow's milk. Kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, and while the love milk it can move things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. causes mild diarrhea in an unconstipated cat). If she is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction.
Another option that can help would be cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose, or food grade mineral oil orally. All should be available OTC at most pharmacies or from your vets. Ideally, when giving these, do consider adding it to food to avoid any risk of aspiration if she struggled when it was given.
Finally, if she is a cat that struggles to pass feces most of the time, you can consider increasing her dietary fiber to help push the feces through her GI. To do so, you can consider mixing some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil/Benefiber into her food daily. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). And alongside this, promoting her to drink well is also advisable (since constipation can be due to dehydration).
Overall, if Sweetie-Pie isn't straining or in discomfort (and we are sure she's not eaten something that could block the gut), we can use the above steps to get things moving for her While doing so, we do want to keep a close eye on her fecal and urinary output. If you try the above but don't see feces within the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want to consider getting your vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi James,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.