Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

PET ARMOR" OVER DOSE ? BLOOD WORK BACK

Customer Question

"PET ARMOR" OVER DOSE ? BLOOD WORK BACK --- NUMBERS NOT GOOD. ANYWAY TO HELP REMOVE/ FLUSH-OUT FLEA TOXINS ?
EATING, DRINKING, GROOMING LITTER-BOX --- SEDENTARY
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Do you know what blood work values were not good. The kidney ones? Liver ones?
Is Petey still hospitalized or at home?
Did the vets put him on IV fluids?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HELLO,PETEY NOT KEPT: HOME --- SQ FLUID ADMIN --- LIVER OK KIDNEY NOT EMPHASIZED
RE: BLOOD VALUES, CAN GET PRINT-OUT TOMORROW/ WEDNESDAY'S APT
DYSLEXIC SORRY, NUMBERS DON'T STICK !PHONED MID-AFTERNOON --- CAN GET U NUMBERS & WRITE BACK ?ADVISE PLEASETHANKS,GREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg,
If you can get a copy of his blood report or get them to relay what abnormalities are present, that would great. It will let me see how serious this is for him, what damage has been done, and determine what we can do to help.
I will keep my eyes peeled for those,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TRY TO GET LATER TODAY --- WEDNESDAY SURE
SORRY ABOUT DELAY --- NEVER USED SERVICE, UNPREPARED
HOW CONTACTGREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries at all, Greg.
I will keep an eye our for those when you post and promise to answer as soon as I am able.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HELLO AGAIN,RE PETTY'S INFO: UPLOADED EVERYTHING TO DATE --- TOMORROW PETEY HAS HIV/ LEUKEMIA TESTNO REASON TO BELIEVE TEST NOT OKPOISONED MY FRIENDTHANKS,GREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg,
I have just received your results on Petey.
Can you tell me whether the Pet Armor had Fipronil or anything else?
Was it the cat specific preparation?
Are Petey's gums pale/white instead of pink?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Has he had any black stool?
Does his skin, gums, or whites of his eyes look yellow?
Any access to anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SORRY,UNABLEL TO ANSWER QUESTIONS ACCURATELY UNTILL DAYLIGHTGREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries,
Please do so whenever you are able.
Speak to you at a more sociable hour for you,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY EARILER DETAILED EMAIL NOT HERE --- DID GET ?GREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I only got the attachments with his blood work and treatments. Its just that I wanted to confirm the ingredient in the product you used and those other parameters because his bloods do not quite fit with a traditional Fipronil toxicity.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN'T BELIEVE DIDN'T GET EMAIL --- FULLY DETAILEDACTIVE INGREDIENTS, EVENT TIMELINE, PETEY'S BEHAVIOR ETCCAN CHECK ? GOTTA BE SOMEWHERE --- VERY MUCH HATE LOSENO SAVED COPYGREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Oh no Greg,
I have none of that in our conversation thread above, so do double check where you posted it since that would really help me get a full picture of Petey's situation (goodness, technology can be a mixed blessing sometimes).
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FOUND IT --- IN YAHOO SENT MAILNOT SURE HOW TO FORWARD --- CAN SEND REAL EMAIL ADDRESS
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I do apologize but we are not allowed to give direct email addresses as per website policy. If possible can you copy/paste your text into this page? Or use the "print screen" button to take a screen shot and then put into Paint to make an image to attach here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, UNDERSTANDDON'T KNOW IF CAN C & P --- MAY NEED ASSISTANCEMAYBE COULD FORWARD TO --- BUT DON'T HAVE JUST ANSWER EMAIL ADDRESS
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
In that case, if you pop a message to customer service (http://ww2.justanswer.com/help), they may be able to guide or give you one of their emails to use.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WOULD ---- JUSTANSWER.COM
ATTN. DR B WORKIF NOT LIB. LATER, ASK HOW TO ATTACHNOT BEST ATTACHERLIVE (?) IN OHIO --- YET TO SLEEP, NITE OWLGREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
If you send that to this, they would likely know what you meant (perhaps include the web address for this page we are discussing Petey on.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WILL TRY, SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSIONG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries at all,
I will keep my eyes out for that further history/information about Petey.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FORWARED, HOPE ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I haven't gotten it passed to me yet, but will let you know when I do.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MISSPELLED FORWARDED (?) --- DON'T MATH GOOD EITHER
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries about that,
I am quite good at interpreting what people mean even when they type something else (though I was stumped today when someone wrote "purple" instead of pupil).
All the best and I will let you know when that information is forwarded to me.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WILL GO LIBRARY REGARDLESSPETEY STABLE, NO BLACK STOOL --- NO BM'SGOOD NIGHTGREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Goodnight, Greg.
Speak to you when they send that along,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DR. B, YOU THERE ?SENT BUNCH OF INFO ABOUT 9:00 PMDID YOU GET ?GREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I have just had a peek (in my inbox and spam) but frustratingly I have no sign of any of your further information. You may need to give them a reminder or consider posting it here for me.
My apologies on that,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CUT & PASTED YESTERDAYS INFO +
2 PDF'S ADDED FROM TODAY ---
3 IN 1 --- ALL ATTACHED HERE
ADDED CC TO MY GMAIL
GOT MINE, CLUELESS WHY YOURS NO SHOW ?
VERY CONFUSED ?GREG
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I have your .pdf's that you posted yesterday, but nothing more from them. Did they respond and let you know they got them? That they were sending them on?
I am going to send our conversation here to the customer service folks now to see if they have any insight on what is going on with those attachments. I won't be able to reply to you until they have looked into this (so know I didn't pop away and leave you), but hopefully that will get this all sorted.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"PETEY SAYS HELLO,
PET ARMOUR --- DOG & CATACTIVE :PYRIPROXYFEN --- .005%
PYRETHRINS --- .100%
PIPERONYL BUTOXIDE --- .200%
MGK 264 --- .33O%OTHER: 99.365%2-3 DAYS LATERFLEA COMB & WASHCLOTH BATHADVANTAGE II .04 SPOT TREATMENTIMIDACLOPRID --- 9.10%
PYRIPOXYFEN --- .46%OTHER: 99.44%
2 DAYS LATER --- WENT VETEATS, DRINKS (FILTERED), GROOMS,
PEES IN BOX --- NO BM'SEATS & DRINKS SMALL AMOUNTS THROUGHOUT --- FULL CAN: HILL'S A/DSEDENTARY, RESPONDS TO AFFECTION,
PURRS, BRIEF PLAYWEIGHT SEEMS IMPROVED
BREATHES, WALKS, APPEARANCE NORMAL
NO DISTRESS --- NOT DYING !THANKS,
GREG & PETEY"
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
It seems that you have timed perfectly with their sending me those files (though I was a bit confused because they are the bloods and treatment list you already sent). Still, I am glad to see your time line since that is what we were trying to exchange.
Anyway, I am glad to see that he is feeling better and improving. The reason why I was so curious about his gum color and his breathing the other night is because his bloods don't fit with a flea treatment overdose. His having had both so close together was an overdose, but the signs on the bloods just didn't fit. Instead, the one that was most worrying was that his hematocrit (blood volume) was dangerously low. That would have made him weak, wobbly, would have increased his breathing rate, and likely caused his gums to pale. And the most likely cause isn't the treatment but instead those fleas that were sucking his blood from him. This was the major worry but I am glad to hear that he is improving on that front (and that we have treated the culprits away so he doesn't lose more).
The other bloods don't suggest horrible things like you had initially suggested but instead showed a massive white blood cell count, which tells us that we had a severe infection present. As well, his pancreatic values (lipase/amylase) were very high. That usually suggests pancreatitis (which can cause belly pain, appetite loss, vomiting) and could have been the focus of the infection. Otherwise, the only real elevation was the urea. Since his creatnine was normal, I wouldn't be overly worried about his kidneys. This type of elevation can also be seen when cats have stomach bleeds (which will turn their feces black, which is why I asked about that). So, that is what the bloods were telling me. And while serious didn't suggest the flea treatment was really to blame.
Therefore, we'd be more worried about an infection, possibly affecting the pancreas. And most importantly anemia. Therefore, it looks like most of the treatments were appropriate for Petey (though I would question if that blood level was retested and accurate, as 9% would usually require a blood transfusion). And his brief play and lethargy are not unexpected if he has a low blood volume with little cells to carry oxygen around his body. Therefore, as long as he is improving, we'd want to take things easy for him, continue treatment, avoid fleas, and monitor his blood levels. And hopefully as we do, we will see continue to perk up as his body replaces those lost red blood cells for him.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HELLO AGAIN.1) MY APOLOGY FOR INABILITY TO FORWARD/ ATTACH FILES --- NOT SUPER GEEKY2) LIKEWISE,THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE --- SEE 1 ABOVEIF EVERYTHING ARRIVED SHOULD HAVE (1) ACTIVE INGREDIENTS + TIMELINE AND (4) PDF'SINFO SENT MULTIPUL TIMES FROM YAHOO/ GMAIL ACCOUNTS HOPING SOMETHING WOULD GET THROUGH --- ANY INBOX FLOODING UNINTENDEDHAD FORWARDING GONE SMOOTHLY, THINK SERVICE GREAT,CLOSED LOOP SYSTEMS PROBLEMATICMORE FLEXABILITY AVOIDED ALL --- EG. MAILBOXES WOULD ALLOW SEND VIA SHAREOHLOLICOH WELL,GOOD TO HEAR DIDN'T POISON --- LOVE PETEYNAMED AFTER "PETER PAN", BECAUSE REFUSED TO GROW-UP --- UNTIL BLOOD TRANSFUSION CORRECTED.WEDNESDAY VET GAVE CAPSTAP ORAL & REVOLUTION SPOT
WILL CONTINUE HILL'S A/D FOR WHILE YETFLEA COMBED EARILER --- NOTHINGFINALLY, WOULD LIKE TO ***** BY WAY OF SAYING THANKS FOR YOUR HELPSINCERELY,GREG & PETEY
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Not a worry at all. My only frustration was that I wanted to help Petey as quickly as I could and we were being a wee bit delayed. In any case, I did get everything in the end. this isn't a toxicity as much as a treatable flea bite anemia, and he sounds to be on the mend. So, that is the important bit for us all. :)
So, I am glad that I could help and hopefully we won't have any more issues. And he will get back to feeling like himself after his blood levels normalize.
All the best for Petey,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )