Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has small bumps on her ears. Could these be ear mit

Customer Question

My cat has small bumps on her ears. Could these be ear mites?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What color are the bumps? Do they look like pimples?
How long have they been present?
Any discharge in her ear?
Has she been scratching her ears?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White. No. They look and feel like sesame seeds. Just been there a few days. No scratching.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Does the skin around them look crusty or scaly? Any dander?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now in regards ***** ***** question, this is not related to ear mites. When we have an infestation with mites, we tend to have brown discharge in the ear canal with intense itching. Furthermore, with her not being itchy with this nor any crusting, mange mites, harvest mites, and fungal agents are also less likely. Therefore, our main concerns for this sudden change to the ear pinna would be an allergic reaction to something she in contact with (ie environmental items, aerosols, pollens, etc) or a possible bacterial infection.
With this in mind, we can start some supportive care to see if we can soothe this for her. To start, do consider salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) bathing her ears 2-3 times daily. Gently pat try afterwards. You can try apply an OTC antibiotic cream as well, but this may not be practical if she tries to lick it off.
Otherwise, we can try to counter and rule out allergies by using an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine for these cases (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.2 5mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic skin reactions for her. We like to keep the dose low in kitties, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lass has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet.
Overall, this is not due to ear mites as these types of lumps are not characteristic of that type of infection. Therefore, we would have the above concerns for her and want to use the above to rule those out and address this for her. Of course, if we don't find this settling in 24 hours, we'd want to consider a check with her vet to potentially start her on a short course of steroid +/- antibiotic to settle these for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )