Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My female cat Snuggles will be 14 on 8/1. She slept with me

Customer Question

My female cat Snuggles will be 14 on 8/1. She slept with me every night. Last week she just kept to herself and although she is eating and drinking 3 days ago had to start bringing the food to her. Late today, her hips gave out and she cannot walk and her breath has an awful odor. Have a call into our vet but he is a country Dr. who is semi-retired but has treated our animals for 30 years. I gave Snugs a 1/2 dose of baby liquid Tylenol because I am sure she is in pain. I have a 2 year old cat as well and am trying to keep them apart. Any answers you can provide will help .You have been of great help to me in the past.
Sincerely,
Susan ***@******.***
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susan! I'mCustomer thanks for your question and I'm sorry that Snuggles isn't feeling well...Your description is more suggestive of a spinal problem, rather than a hip issue - it sounds like her rear limbs are at least partially paralyzed and this often happens with spinal cord compression or inflammation. I can only speculate without seeing her but this seems the most likely, given your description. This can be very painful, you are right. I think you might have a bigger problem on your hands now - Tylenol is extremely toxic to cats and can be fatal at pretty much any dose. Because of this and because she is likely very painful, I would recommend taking her over to the nearest vet ER tonight and have her treated... I think time is of the essence and I'm not sure that a home visit/treatment would be sufficient in this case. It's definitely a good idea to keep the kitties apart...I hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions!