petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 15-yr old Coco has been diagnosed w IBS...she hasn't eaten

Customer Question

My 15-yr old Coco has been diagnosed w IBS...she hasn't eaten in 4 days. Took her to vet today and she was rehydrated, given B12 inject and sent home w Recovery rabbit and chicken.
After waiting several hrs tried to feed her rabbbit...she ate a little so then tried chicken...she ate very little of that. I am at wits end...any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. Can you tell me how the IBD was diagnosed? What tests were run and what abnormalities were noted?Is this the first time she has shown GI symptoms or refused food?Did your vet send home any type of appetite stimulant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vet sent home 1 tablet cernia for vomitting...told to give 1/4 each feeding....Coco didn't eat enough food to injest pill.
She was diagnosed w sonar scan...didn't want to do invasive biopsy. She has stopped eating before, but never for this long...Vet said she would give appetite stimulant tmrw if she doesn't eat...only ate very small amt of Recovery rabbit and chicken.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
With the ultrasound, most likely what they noted was a thickened intestine. Unfortunately, without the biopsy, we cannot tell if it is thickened due to inflammation alone or if there is cancer invading the walls of the intestine. The can look absolutely the same on an ultrasound, which it sounds like they already told you. The appetite stimulant may definitely help. If he won't eat the prescription you are offering, you may want to consider trying to entice him with something he liked in the past or even a little boiled chicken. Cerenia can be used daily also and at a higher dose (double the anti-vomiting dose) has anti-inflammatory properties to help with inflammation of the the gut so is very useful in these IBD cats. Even if you choose to not go the route of biopsy, she may benefit from a course of corticosteroids and/or leukeran . Steroids help many cats with either of the two conditions to regain their appetite and gain weight, but if there is intestinal cancer, the result may be short lived. If cancer is confirmed with a biopsy, he may do better with other chemotherapeutic drugs to put him in remission for a longer period of time. If the cause is IBD only, you may be able to decrease or even stop the steroids after you see improvement. Biopsy and confirming the diagnosis is always the better choice, but not always feasible for every case. I would work with your veterinarian to decide what is best for you and Coco. If you have a biopsy done down the line, you could have a feeding tube placed at the same time so that you could offer liquid nutritional support until he is eating better on his own. Cat's tolerate these very well(my own had one for over 3 years). Hereare a few links you may find informative.intestinal lymphomainflammatory bowel disease (IBD) I hope this is helpful. Please letme know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarifyfor you.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
oops, looks like the links did not send.intestinal lymphomainflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coco has been on prednizone for yrs...but now that she's not eating she is not ingesting it. Guess my only hope is the appetite stimulant...she has always eaten Recovery rabbit before but only ate a little this time.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Oh, so you are putting the meds in her food. I understand. That can be a challenge when they don't want to eat. You could talk to your vet about having it formulated into another form. We have had some luck with tuna or chicken flavored liquid or even a transdermal gel that can be rubbed on the non-haired skin on the ear flap. Good luck and please keep me posted as far as how things progress.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.