Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

We have been advised to keep our cat in a cage weeks

Customer Question

We have been advised to keep our cat in a cage for 4 weeks because he has broken his foot. How can we make this bearable for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your kitty has a broken foot. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I would get a large dog crate. Not a travel kennel that is enclosed but a open crate. Place his food, bed and litter box inside. They have food and water bowls that attach to the side of the kennel so they do not get spilled and to allow for increased floor space. You can get some of the toys that are made to hang from door handles that he can bat around a little. Get a Feliway or Sergents brand pheromone collar. This is a collar that releases calming pheromones to help reduce stress. I would also get a pheromone plug in ( similar to a air freshener that plugs in ) and put this close to the area where you are keeping the kennel.You can bring him out of the kennel as often as you want to sit with you if he is a lap cat, just no jumping and limited walking. If you find that he is still stressed then you could always ask your vet to prescribe a mild anti anxiety medication to help keep him calm. I hope he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. Once our conversation has finished please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am recognized by justanswer for assisting you today.Candy