Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

New male cat (sibling of one of mine, he is 1 of 5...), 2 yrs

Customer Question

new male cat (sibling of one of mine, he is 1 of 5...), 2 yrs old, change in diet (better I thought, Wellness food instead of Purina) was peeing normally for the last week since he came to us; today: lots of attempts, sometimes a bit (1/2 - 1 t.), mostly little drops, no blood that I can see. He's playful, behavior is normal. Other cat had these symptoms a few months ago, was on meds for straining, all is ok now, vet attributed it to new food - didn't feel distended bladder or obstruction in urethra. Could it be the diet thing again??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Max is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine. The great majority of these cats suffer from idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis - possibly stress induced. Most will remiss unaided within a week but any stranguric cat needs to be checked by his vet at your earliest convenience because too may of them will form excess amounts of mucus and grit in their bladder and this material can form "plugs" which then obstruct the urethra. This, then, becomes the classic "blocked cat" who can't urinate and if urine can't pass for as little as 36 hours, renal failure can ensue. It sounds as if Max is currently not blocked but it would be prudent to have him checked in any event. Administering subcutaneous fluids to these cats can dilute noxious substances in the urine and promote a diuresis - a healthy flow of urine. An analgesic might be prescribed by his vet as well. To answer you directly, yes, diet may be incriminated although high quality cat foods have been improved over the years to the point that they don't precipitate this type of cystitis any longer. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.