Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat had trouble breathing and is loosing her voice, the

Customer Question

my cat had trouble breathing and is loosing her voice, the vet here took xrays and said he didn't know what was arong with her, i pushed him to give her an allergy shot and a round of antibiotics, he did and she seamed better with the breathing but her voice was still ruff and rattled. what is wrong with my cat? she is 5 yrs old and was born with acute mucus in her nose and eyes.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
The two most common causes of a change in voice in cats are the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) and the bacterium Bordetella bronchiseptica. FHV-1 is more likely because sniffles has a history of respiratory infection - the "mucus in her nose and eyes" - and FHV-1 remains in the body lifelong only to recrudesce (relapse without cure in between events) in times of stress. The "allergy shot" which I suspect was a corticosteroid would reduce inflammation in her respiratory tract and improve how she sounds and the antibiotics might address Bordetella but not FHV-1. In either case, Sniffles is expected to remiss within 3 weeks. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.