Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat is sitting like he is trying to have a bowel movement

Customer Question

My cat is sitting like he is trying to have a bowel movement but nothing comes out except urine.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Salem. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need. Are you certain he is able to urinate normally and that this is a problem with having bowel movements? Sometimes it can be hard to tell.Is he eating normally? When is the last time he had a bowel movement?Is he otherwise healthy? Taking any medications?Please type in your response and click REPLY or SEND.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The reason I ask these things is because straining to urinate is much more common in young cats than straining to have a bowel movement, and it can be difficult to tell the difference. Regardless, this is a symptom that should be taken very seriously. A bladder OR bowel obstruction can be a life-threatening emergency, and a cat who is unable to urinate or defecate can get worse very, very quickly.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Because of the potential for serious problems being behind the reason for Salem's trouble, I would advise a trip to the vet. Sooner is better. If he were my cat, I'd take him to the ER tonight. Not only is it better for him to get to the bottom of this sooner, you can expect the treatment to be simpler (and less expensive), and more likely to be effective the sooner you get started.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The bot***** *****ne is that there isn't any type of home remedy I would recommend for a cat in this situation. He needs professional veterinary care as soon as possible. Again, I'm really sorry he's having trouble, and I know this might not be the answer you wanted to hear. Because I'm worried about him, however, this is the answer I have to give with his best interests in mind.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask how Salem is doing now and to see if there is anything I need to clarify for you after you've read through the information I provided above.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.