Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our cats eyes are looking dim, one pupil is smaller than the

Customer Question

Our cats eyes are looking dim, one pupil is smaller than the other and she is making a terrible hacking coughing sound. It is quite loud. She is not 'talking' like she usually does and her fur has an armadillo shell look to it. It is sectioned and seems greasy. What could be wrong with here. Started Friday night. Can't get to our vet until tomorrow and I see a definite decline since Friday.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Monet. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I see she is coughing/hacking, her fur has changed, and her pupils are different sizes. Is she eating and drinking? If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or do her gums look pale? Since I cannot see and examine her, the more information I have, the better answer I can give you. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums are pale and she is not eating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very pale
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the extra information.Pale gums are very worrying to me. She could be anemic ( low red blood cell level), in shock, or be infected with a serious viral infection like feline leukemia. If she were my cat, I would begin with a complete physical exam: listen to her heart, feel her internal organs and lymph nodes, take her temperature, feel her pulses, etc. I would measure her red and white blood cell counts. I would use a scope to check her eyes for normal eye function and reflexes. If she has never been tested for feline leukemia, I would rule that out with a blood test.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If her gums are pale, she may be weak from anemia, causing her not to groom herself ( and changing her coat in a few days). I wish I could get a drop of blood, to do a red cell count!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will be taking her in to emergency
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Let me know what you find out.