Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

A feral cat ha(about 12 years old now) has been living in

Customer Question

a feral cat ha(about 12 years old now) has been living in our yard. . We are unable to let it in the house. Lately it has been attacked at night and had bad ear injury that eventually healed on its own. The other day we found that the cat had a sever wound under the chin . It was again attacked perhaps by another bigger and younger cat. My mother feeds it regularly with dry food and with canned food and occasional raw chic***** *****ver, condensed milk and souer cream. She watches for worms and flees. We cannot afford to take the kitty to the veterinarian. Moreover, it will not allow to be handled and my Mother can pet it but can lift it for a few short moments only as it then struggles to get away.
. It would not be possible to give the kitty anything other than a pill in food or a spray out of a can over its wound. Of course we would protect the eyes and face if we use spray.Thank you very much if you can help with advice.
Mark Hooper
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mark, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Kossia hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
Trying to take care of ferals is really tough although I give you both credit for trying to do so.
If you have access to Amoxicillin or Clavamox, then I can tell you the dosage most commonly used although in most cases, you'd need a prescription from a vet.
However, having said that, many feline wounds or abscesses will heal on their own with minimal attention and don't require systemic antibiotics at all.
If Kossia will let your mom, I'd try to gently clean the new wound with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea). Twice a day would be best but if she'll only allow it once a day, that's better than nothing.
A perfect spray to use on her would be Vetericyn which can be purchased at many pet or grain stores or online. I've been quite impressed with how quickly many skin wounds heal since I've been using this product. It contains no alcohol so it won't sting and it won't be harmful if ingested.
Your mom could also try and apply a very small amount of antibiotic ointment to the wound but my concern would be if Kossia can reach the area to lick it off. Many cats can have adverse reactions to many over the counter products such as this so I don't tend to suggest them unless the owner/caretaker can prevent access to the area. Obviously, this isn't going to be practical in this case.
Most cats are phenomenal healers; let's hope she's one of them, too.
I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on Kossia; how are things going with her? Deb