petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our cat is experiencing symptoms of cardiac heart failure.

Customer Question

Our cat is experiencing symptoms of cardiac heart failure. She had labored breathing last night and reduced appetite. Her breathing is better today but still experiencing symptoms.
For the last seven (7) months, she has been receiving treatment for idiopathic cystitis. Our vet has us administer saline solution every three days. She also receives a B12 shot once a week. Diazepam is administered every day.
Question: should we take her into the emergency vet tonight or wait until tomorrow to see our regular vet?
Thank you,
Kris
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. I would definitely recommend that you have her evaluated today at an ER facility versus waiting until tomorrow. I know it is preferable to see a vet that you know and that knows Katey, but labored breathing is not something that should be monitored, even if it has improved some. It would be best to see how her lungs look on xray and provide oxygen therapy if needed until some of the fluid can be resolved if present. These are fragile patients and it doesn't take much to send them into distress. Try to move slowly with her so as not to get her too excited when you are transporting her. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Z, thank you for the response. We wanted to get an expert opinion before taking action. We will be taking Katey to the ER Vet tonight.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
That is a good idea. Please keep me posted as to how things progress for her.