Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

The tip of my cats tail is raw and im not sure to be worri

Customer Question

the tip of my cats tail is raw and im not sure to be worried.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attached is a photo
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the photo! It demonstrates more than rawness; instead, there has been considerable tissue loss most likely due to dry gangrene. This usually occurs secondary to trauma and interruption to the vascular supply - which is already scant at the end of the tail. In most cases, I'll remove the portion of affected tail to a point where I can close the wound with healthy tissue. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.