petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is 19 yo. Hard to eat hard cat food. We have been feeding

Customer Question

My cat is 19 yo. Hard to eat hard cat food. We have been feeding tuna. This a.m. Fed him and went to store. Came back and his right eye is cocked to the right top of eye soccett but does not move. Not sure if anything I can do. Looks like possible slight swelling. Do you think it will go back on its own? Does not seem to be in pain. And is still eating.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. Are you saying that the eye is fixed and looking upward? Does the other eye continue to work normally? Does Tego appear to be able to see still? Is there any drainage form the affected eye? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fixed looking up and to the right. Partial pupil is showing mostly the white area. No leakage. Other eye is working good. Can follow hand. Does not show signs of being in pain.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. It could be a neurologic issue, but those don't usually come on acutely. Extra ocular myositis (inflammation of the eye muscles) can lead to this type of symptoms. However, the cause of the myositis would need to be investigated. It is worrisome that it is only occurring in one eye and that the eye appears to potentially have swelling involved. In an older cats like Tego is, a tumor behind the eye has to be on the list of possibilities. I would definitely follow up with your vet who may even refer you to a veterinary ophthalmologist. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z