Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Maine Coon male cat has an enlarged heart and also probably

Customer Question

My Maine Coon male cat has an enlarged heart and also probably asthma. What is the treatment for an enlarged heart.
The asthma show up with a cough once in a while. He takes between 26 to 30 breaths a minute. My four other Maine Coons take about 22 to 25 breaths a minute. I will not treat with steroids because of the other consequences of using steroids.
Can anything be done for the enlarged heart and how does that affect his health?
Also he has lost about 2 pounds over the last year. But is not skinny, probably just right.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I would note that a resting breathing rate for any cat <30 breaths per minute is considered normal. Therefore, Cosmo's breathing rate is not a worry here. Of course, if he did have any issues, there are brochodilating medications (ie Theophylline) that can help him to breathe better.
Otherwise, if he does have an enlarged heart, then treatment will depend on what changes have specifically been seen on heart scan and xray. If there as fluid in his lungs secondary to his heart condition, then diuretics (ie Furosemide) would be indicated. Otherwise, the treatment of heart disease in cats is focused on slowing progression of the disease (since we cannot shrink an enlarged heart once the heart muscle is stretched) and any side effects. Therefore, we often use ACE inhibitors and Pimobendin to help keep their blood pressure stable and help the heart be more efficient when it beats. If a cat has issues with arrhythmias (irregular beats) or severe blood pressure complications, then there are further medications that can be used. But again what to use past those basic three will depend on what changes are seen within the heart and body that also need to be addressed for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer was incomplete. Look at sentence of resting breathing rate for any cat......? The total answer was incomplete or lack the common knowledge that can be found on the internet. I am unsatisfied. Please do not contact me again or the service that is being the provider.