petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My kitty, who is around 1yr old, fell from our second story

Customer Question

My kitty, who is around 1yr old, fell from our second story loft railing. She seems fine, but should I watch for anything?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. My cats have taken that plunge once or twice in their lifetime as well from our second story ledge. At that level, in most cases, they will be fine, but depending on how they land, they could experience a trauma. The biggest cause for concern would be a limb sprain which would most likely lead to limping, even a possible diaphragmatic tear. The diaphragm is the tissue that keeps the abdominal organs in the abdomen and out of the chest. If a tear occurs, any of the various organs can migrate to the chest cavity and lead to distress. I would first of all check Abigail's color and make sure she is still nice and pink and that the color comes back quickly when you press on her gums. Next, I would monitor her breathing and her respiratory rate. A normal cat at rest will have less than 30 breaths per minute. Chances are good that there is no trauma, but a watchful eye for the next 24 hours is a good idea. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.