petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 3 month old kitten fell out of a tree and has hurt her leg.

Customer Question

My 3 month old kitten fell out of a tree and has hurt her leg. Can Ingive her Tramadol that I have for my dog?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. _________________________________________________I would not recommend using Tramadol in a kitten that young for multiple reasons. First and most important, even when used in adult cats, it has to be dosed with extreme care in that many cats become dysphoric (have hallucinations) while on it. Secondly, youl would never be able to break a dog sized tablet into a small enough dose. Even for an adult sized cat, if we do prescribe it, we have to have it formulated into a compounded liquid at a much smaller mg size. If she is acting painful, your best course of action is to have her examined so that a veterinarian can make sure there is no more serious injuries and can prescribe a safe form of pain relief. Unfortunately, there are not any safe over the counter options, even for adult cats. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.