petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat seems to be trying to do the cat-yakking thing, which happens after he eats grass.

Customer Question

My cat seems to be trying to do the cat-yakking thing, which happens after he eats grass. But, the yakking is continuing, sporadically, for about 1 1/2 hour. some whiteish mucus comes out. He is not eating (he usually runs to wet food all the time). He did sit at bowl, thought about eating, but did the yakking action.
i wonder if he ate a plant that he wasn't supposed to. I've been considering tyring to induce vomiting, though i've never done it before, and never without vet visit, do I do anything usually...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. _________________________________________________Is he acting lethargic at all?Does it seem more like a cough or more like he is gagging or retching?Have you seen him urinate or pass a stool today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's sort of lethargic. He's not eating (he usually runs to bowl when I bring out wet food, or sits at bowl showing me he's hungry--he tried to eat once, about 1 hour ago, but he was doing his yakking-body action so he jumped down from the bowl. No mucus had come out during that particular yakking/gagging moment at his food bowl). He was wandering around the house, and his wandering told me that he wasn't feeling good. Now he's just sitting. I hear the yakking--just see nothing on mouth/cabinet he's sitting on, or sometimes a small bit of mucus just outside his lips/cheek area. He is gagging--just like the typical 'yakking' when he would gag up the eaten blades of grass. Not coughing. Yes, he urinated all day. Havent' see stool, but he's so sneaking about doing that when I'm not around.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. All cats are allowed to have an upset stomach now and then as long as it doesn't persist for too long. If he was eating grass and if he is refusing food, even though he seems hungry, that is likely the case. Or another possibility is that he has developed an esophagitis. The question is then, why is his GI tract upset. There are very many reasons why cats experience nausea and GI upset,some more serious than others. It can be a a vague sign that can be associated with simple things like dietary indiscretion to more serious things like intestinal obstruction or metabolic disorders. In young cats, we usually are a little more worried about foreign body ingestion. We decide how aggressive we need to be in diagnosing and treating it based on how severe the symptoms and how long it has been going on. In his case, since it has only been going on for a short while, we have the option of monitoring for a little while to see if things improve on their own. Sometimes the fast alone is all it takes to get htings back on track.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
What I would do for tonight is to continue to fast him to give his GI system a rest. Since he is an adult cat,a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin offering him food again, you will want to offer frequent,small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. When they are gagging or retching, it is best not to offer any medication by oral route. There are very limited meds that are available over the counter for nausea anyway. If he seems uncomfortable, if the retching continues or if he won't eat when you offer it next, it would really be best to have him evaluated by a veterinarian. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then I'll wait and see overnight how he does. At least no more extra symptoms have popped up... And one last clarification, regarding the advice, "frequent,small meals of something very digestible for him." I have Purina turkey 'pate' style wet food. That's ok, correct, as the digestible recommended food for now? i.e, this 'pate' is not the 'saucies' or 'gravies' that you recommended as a 'no'--or is this 'pate' type considered saucies or gravies? Thank you.
Marianna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
btw, my cat looks like yours, in your vet icon. Thank you again for the bit of advice, before i decide if I need to take him to a vet in person later, if symptoms persist, and even if more crop up (which isn't happening). At least initial peace of mind with a little info initially here. He does seem to have calm down a bit with the gagging-yakking action.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I logged off before you replied. Just checking in to see how your guy is doing today. If he is eating food today, the turkey pate is fine, but limit to small bits at a time. The cat in the photo is our hospital cat, who has since passed, but I have 3 gingers of my own.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.