Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is sluggish, losing weight, vomiting and not going

Customer Question

My cat is sluggish, losing weight, vomiting and not going to the litter box.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lelo. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long has he been like this? Is he drinking more water than usual, or less? How is his appetite? When you say he is not going to the litter box, is he urinating and defecating somewhere else, or is he just not urinating or defecating much? This is an Info Request, to help me answer your questions about him. Since I cannot see and examine him, the more information I have the better I can help. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is drinking less water and eating very little. When she coes eat she vomit's it back up half the time.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Have you had her examined by a veterinarian? There are many things that could cause vomiting, weight loss, and a poor appetite in a cat that is 13 years old: pancreatitis, liver disease, kidney disease, inflammatory bowel disease, hormonal conditions like hyperthryoidism, heart disease (vomiting is the main symptom of heart disease in cats), infection, parasites, cancer. Vomiting is a symptom of nearly every illness we see in cats, so vomiting and weight loss are seen with dozens of conditions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also she used the bathroom in the den when she usually wakes us up if she can't get to her litter box.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If this were my own cat, the place I would begin is a good physical exam: listen to the heart, feel the internal organs and lymph nodes, check to see if the gums are a normal pink or if they look pale.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
She may be urinating in the den because she is too weak or tired to get to the litter box, or because she has a bladder infection, bladder stones, or cystitis.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I would check her for dehydration by gently pinching some skin over her shoulders and letting it go. It should go back into position in less than one second. If it takes longer, she is dehydrated.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am worried; she sounds pretty sick. If she is dehydrated, that is making whatever is wrong with her even worse. A good physical exam by a veterinarian is where to start to get a diagnosis. Once we know what is wrong, then we know the best treatment. You can try giving Pepcid AC (famotidine) for vomiting, 2.5 milligrams twice daily. But it would be better to find out what her problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She got outside and chased a dog inspite of her seemingly being sick.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Cats try to hide it, when they are sick. They will try to carry on and act like they are fine, even when they are not. So we have to look for signs that they are not well. Any time a cat starts to lose weight, or is not eating well, I take it very seriously in my patients, and in my own cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She keeps wanting to go outside and won't come back in the house. She even used the bathroom on the pourch swing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will take her to the local vet. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
A change in behaviour, hiding, staying away from their usual places is also a sign a cat is sick. She is telling you, the only way she can, that something is wrong. You can try changing foods, to a bland diet, or giving the Pepcid. If this were my cat, I would be doing an exam and probably some blood tests, to find out what is wrong. Gong to your vet is the best place to start.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how she is doing, and if I can help with or answer anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
Do let me know how she is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?