Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 12 year old (or older) female cat (DSH, half tabby,

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old (or older) female cat (DSH, half tabby, half white) who's recently lost quite a lot of weight (for her already slight size). We've been monitoring her eating and she's putting it back on .. however, tonight we've found a very large lump on the right side of her face; just below the back of the jawbone, altho it appears to take up the whole right side of her face (she's quite petite). It's roughly the size of a golf ball and hard.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is eating normally, although only wet food, she won't take solid food anymore and I haven't seen her drinking water at all. I worry this is the end for my Morgan.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is this mass causing any facial distortion?
Is there any matching lump on the other side of the jaw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I appreciate your help :)The mass appears to come straight off the side of her face, puffing out her cheek.. the bottom of her right eye is pushed up.
There is not a matching one on the other side that I can tell.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now based on your description, we do have two main concerns for this swelling on Morgan's face. The first is that we can actually see very dramatic masses and swelling related to tooth root abscesses in cats. Otherwise, at her age, a cancerous growth would be our other concern. And I would note that both can come up quite quickly, distort her face as it is doing, and also would lead her to prefer softer foods for ease of eating. Just to note, less common causes would be hematomas if she had had a trauma to her face or a fungal infection.
In this case, I do think it is worth having this checked at this stage. Since tooth root abscesses are so common at her age (after over a decade of not brushing her teeth), her vet can try her on a course of antibiotics and kitty safe anti-inflammatories. If this is an infection, it should reduce this for her (and you can then decide if you wanted to have the problem tooth acting as a focus removed to prevent recurrence). Of course if she didn't respond, then our other concern would become a suspect and we'd need to consider whether it could be removed or if we did have to decide that it was her time.
So, those would be our concerns for Morgan and how we could approach this for her. So, do keep offering soft foods (you can use kitten food if she is struggling to eat enough, since it has more nutrition per bite) and do consider a check with her vet to see if we do have an infection that we can treat to settle this for her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.