Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

This week my female cat Dula developed constipation and even after she had an enema under

Customer Question

This week my female cat Dula developed constipation and even after she had an enema under anaesthesia yesterday morning, plus has been taking lactulose, she has not had a B.M. in the last day and a half. Xray shows her colon is distended. My vet did not say this but I suddenly am wondering if there is a connection to Prazosin which I have been administering to her for three months because she was getting frequent UTIs and Prazosin allows me to express her bladder more easily. My questions are the following:
1. If my guess is right, do you think my cat's colon will regain its muscle tone after I have stopped giving her Prazosin?
2. I read that mega colon begins after age 10 or before age 1, depending on the type. Am I right to believe Dula's current condition is NOT a sign of mega colon in the making? She is six yrs old.
I would appreciate your input. Thank you. Meg
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
First, while megacolon is more common in the very young and very old, it can arise at any age. So, it would have to be a concern in the back of our minds for Dula. That said, with her being on the Prazosin, we would be very suspicious that this could be our trigger for her GI issues.
The reason is because Prazosin is a competitive alpha-1 adrenergic receptor blocker and acts to block the alpha-1 receptors on muscle cells to reduce their function. This is what reduces her spasms in the muscle of her urinary tract. With that function in mind, we have to appreciate that this drug also affects a range of organs. And some of the smooth muscle of the intestine have these receptors and therefore could be affected too. In people, this can translate to fecal incontinence and on rare occasions constipation in the sensitive patient. Therefore, the medication could be causing the lack of proper gut movement and function and thus causing these issues for her. So, before we panic about megacolon, we would need to consider a trial off the Prazosin first to see if that corrects her fecal issues.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Meg,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.