Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Cat is sneezing, licking lips and swallows like she is trying

Customer Question

Cat is sneezing, licking lips and swallows like she is trying to get something up or down. Last time this happened she had a blade of grass in her nose which I pulled out. This time I can't see anything. Can't take her to vet until tomorrow. She ate some of her dinner and seems ok otherwise. Can this cause her to die?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It sounds like she may have another grass awn in the nose or throat. I see a lot of cats with these stuck under the soft palate. The only way to see them, is to anesthetize the cat and pull back on the soft palate. It can then be removed at that time. This should be ok to wait until tomorrow. If the signs resolve in the mean time, great. If not, then I would anesthetize her to see if anything can be found. If not, a round of antibiotics in case of an upper respiratory infection would be indicated. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.