Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Dr. BE Hughes. I treated my cat 4 days ago with a flea

Customer Question

Hello Dr. BE Hughes. I treated my cat 4 days ago with a flea medicine and applied to the back of the neck. Since then he has been urinating and pooping on a rug in my bathroom daily. No use of the litter box. Also noticed he had rice looking things in his poo today. I did treat him 3 days ago with a worker medicine, but realized today it was for roundworms. After researching could it be tape worms? And can I treat him with a tape worm medicine. And why is he still urinating and pooping on the rug?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Are his stools and urinations normal looking? No diarrhea or hard feces? No excessively large or small drops of urine?
How is otherwise?
Eating, drinking, acting normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His urine looks normal but feces has rice like segments present. Which I presume are sone type of worm. I did treat him with a dewormer at the same time I treated him for fleas. But I treated him for roundworms. Not sure if it was for the right worm.His eating and drinking seem normal. Heven was a little sluggish 4 days ago, but has perked up since then.Could heasily have a UTI? And did I treat him for the right type of worm? If not what should I treat him with?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now first, those white rice like segments are most likely to be tape worm segments. Therefore, you will want to follow up with a tape worm specific treatment (ie Milbemax, Droncit, praziquantel, etc). Generally speaking, we do tend to stagger treating with these a few days from any other wormers.
Otherwise, in regard to his inappropriate elimination, this could certainly be triggered by a UTI or anything that may make him feel unwell. And that is more suspect then a behavioral reaction to his recent worming if he was sluggish too.
Therefore, in this situation, we would want to remove his access to the rug, consider making a litter box available for him where he has been passing waste (so he has no excuse) but also consider collecting a urine sample. A urine sample can be collected if he has been going on the bathroom floor or you can just plan to keep him overnight with an empty litter box to obtain a donation. This can be then submitted to his vet, even without him visiting, and checked for infection or any abnormalities. If an infection is confirmed, then he could see his vet for treatment. Or if that is all clear, we can breathe a sigh of relief and focus on getting him using that bathroom based litter box and then weaning him back to going where it was originally located.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wendi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.