Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 12 y/o outdoor cat who has always been healthy and active

Customer Question

Our 12 y/o outdoor cat who has always been healthy and active appeared to have what I can only think was a seizure last evening. Horrible noises and thrashing about. It last about two minutes or so. My children were devastated. The cat seemed to want some air and space when it was over so we let her out. She has been out now for well over 24 hrs. It is pouring rain here in ny. We r beside ourselves with worry. I've read that a sick cat will go outside and find a quiet place to expire in peace but I guess we may never know.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. It does very much sound like she had a seizure last night. A seizure can leave them very disoriented. Sometimes that lasts only a few minutes, but it can be a few hours or even a couple days. It is possible that she may still be in a that disorientated phase. If she will let you pick her up, I would just bring her back in and put her in a warm and comfortable place. If they first start having seizures at this age, there is concern that there is an underlying medical condition behind it. They usually don't just start having seizures for no reason (idiopathic epilepsy) at this age, so I would have your vet check her out tomorrow. They will most likely want to run some bloodwork to see if they cannot find an underlying cause. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.