Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 14 year old male cat has IBD and my vet and I manage

Customer Question

Hi--my 14 year old male cat has IBD and my vet and I manage it with prednisolone (2.5 mg tab) and flagyl (1/4 tab) every day to every other day. I missed dosing him Monday and Wednesday he started vomiting and exhibiting lethargy. I dosed him with 5 mg of prednisolone last night and he's a bit better today, eating a tiny bit, keeping it down. I have an appointment for him next week and want to take care of him in the meantime. What is the next dose (time and dosage) of pred you would suggest? He is a large cat--18 lb. Thanks for any input you have!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
In general, we want to treat intensively when break-through symptoms arise. I would treat such a large cat with a full anti-inflammatory dose of prednisone - either 10 mg once daily or 5 mg twice daily plus metronidazole at 62.5 mg daily - until he was asymptomatic for a week and then taper dosing downward to the lowest effective dose - which may or may not be the same doses you were managing him with previously.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.