Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

Help---my nine month old kitten is biting my stuffed furniture.

Customer Question

help---my nine month old kitten is biting my stuffed furniture. I don't think I can keep him.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you and Spot are having a hard time adjusting to life together- cats can be destructive at times and often like stuffed furniture for such destructive habits, but all may not be lost.
Here are some things you can try that may help decrease or stop this behavior:
- Generally speaking I don't recommend reprimanding cats with negativity (such as the small whack), as with cats this can cause stress and anger and can simply make the problem worse. Try the below tips instead:
- Cover the areas he likes to bite with surfaces cats don't like. Aluminum foil and bubble wrap both work well as deterrents for most cats. While I recognize this may not look pretty, this does not have to be permanent, you just have to use it long enough for him to learn he doesn't like biting those pieces of furniture anymore.
- Use a bitter spray that makes the area taste bad. These can be purchased from pet stores or online.
- Decrease stress: cats can partake in behaviors like this due to stress. So try decreasing his stress by making his environment more inviting (make sure you have enough litter boxes, cat beds, places to hide, food, water, scratch posts, etc.) or using cat calming sprays or treats (can be purchased from pet stores or online)
- Exercise him more: another common cause of such behaviors is boredom and excessive energy. Help him get more exercise and occupy his time by playing with him more and/or buying automated toys to keep him busy.
- If he is not fixed, neuter!: neutering male cats can significantly decrease unwanted behaviors ranging from marking/spraying to chewing and scratching. It can calm them down a bit and make them feel les stressed about being inside (when they're thinking about the lady cats outside!).
- If all else fails, there are many very nice furniture covers and throw blankets out there that can protect furniture from pet damage.
If all of those things do not work and you absolutely have to give him up, find a rescue organization to turn him over to or someone you know who is willing to take him in. Avoid kill shelters whenever possible and never post him online as "free to a good home" as this can be very risky.
Thank you for your question- I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
All the best to both you and Spot,
Dr. Drea