Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been having chronic diarrhea. They have done

Customer Question

Hi. My cat has been having chronic diarrhea. They have done all of the typical tests - ultrasound, radiographs, B-12 test - just about everything short of the intestinal biopsy. That is what my vet is suggesting next. It is extremely expensive, and I assume it is too late to find insurance that may cover part of it. Is it worth looking around to get different quotes, or is it likely that the price will be the same, somewhere in the range of $3000? Thanks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Unfortunately, since Bridgette has had a previous issue and work up for this condition, most insurances would exclude coverage for anything related to diarrhea or her gut. Therefore, they would not likely be of benefit at this point. That said, it is worth seeking other quotes, as different practices do charge differently. And I would note that if you did find a practice that could do this scoping/biopsy for less, then you could see them as an outpatient (where you then take the results back to the first vet) if you wished. Or you could see if your current practice would match that price. Some will, so it is worth looking around.
Finally, while I appreciate you have tried a range of antibiotics and treatments, I do just want to mention some supportive care options that could at least bulk up her feces and reduce that diarrhea volume she is passing. If you have tried them already, then fair enough but I did just want to mention since I don't seem them listed in your previous treatment list. In regards ***** ***** we often use Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) not as a cure, but to slow diarrhea and reduce its adverse effects (weight loss, dehydration, nutrient loss, etc). As well, we can find probiotics (ie Fortiflora) helpful. And there are even combination products of these that are available over the counter (ie Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin, Fast Balance). So, those would be some supports that you could consider with Bridgette to try to reduce her signs as you comparison shop for potentially having her gut scoped and biopsied for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.