Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My calico cat hasn't pooped in 36 hours. She is eating and

Customer Question

My calico cat hasn't pooped in 36 hours. She is eating and drinking normally and is playful. She appears to be urinating normally. Usually, she has 1 bowel movement per day. She is 1 year old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
First, I am glad to hear that Mittens is otherwise well.
Still, if there has been a delay in her passing feces, there are some steps we can use at home to help get this moving for her. To do so, we can start with a bit of cow's milk. This can be helpful at getting things moving along the gut as it should (though it can cause a bit of self-limiting loose stool in non-constipated pets).
Otherwise, you can try her with cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose, or mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).
Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). You also want to continue to encourage her to drink since constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure she has have fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth if she won’t drink.
While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output. I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or she vomits, goes off her food, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by her vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )