Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My elderly cat has never bitten me until just now. He got

Customer Question

My elderly cat has never bitten me until just now. He got up from his day's sleep and I was on long distance with husband's sister, who is elderly and a new widow too, as am I.
Simba, my cat, was wanting supper, but seemed to agree to wait until I was finished on phone. Suddenly, I took too long for him, and he dashed at my ankle and bit it. It bled, so I let it bleed while I got alcohol and then colloidal silver for the tiny wound. Then I put bacitracin on it and covered with light band aid. Simba needs his rabies shot, but he is so big, without my husband or someone to help me get him in carrier and to vet, I haven't been able to get the shot. He has now eaten and gone outside.
I don't know if I need to get a shot or not. can you advise me? So far, I have been unable to find a vet who does house calls to give him the rabies shot. We live in Miami-Dade, FL. Marge
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Marge, I am sorry to hear that Simba bit you! I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You can only get rabies from a bite from an animal that is rabid, actively infected with rabies. When an animal has rabies, they are dying and will be dead in 10 days or probably less. So, if an animal bites you and is still alive and acting normal 10 days later, that animal was not rabid when it bit you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
This is the only practice that does house calls in your area I could find: http://www.bustilloanimalhospital.com
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.